Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tm2u026

Where do I deduct the interest and property tax on my RV?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LindaA
Expert Alumni

If your RV qualifies as your second home, enter the interest as mortgage interest. You'll enter the property tax for the RV as personal property tax. These expenses are only deductible if you use itemized deductions (Schedule A) instead of the standard deduction.

To enter mortgage interest for your RV:

• Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click Tax Tools (lower left side of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 1098.
  • In the results box, highlight 1098, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. If you've already entered mortgage interest for your main home, you'll land on the Mortgage deduction summary. Click Add a lender to enter the information for your RV. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.)
  • Even though you didn't receive a Form 1098, report the mortgage interest in Box 1 when you are on Let's get the details from your 1098 now. (Click the second screenshot below for reference.)

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

To enter property tax for your RV:

• Continue your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Select Tools.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type personal property tax.
  • In the results box, highlight personal property taxes, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. (Click the third and fourth screenshots below for reference.)

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "Tax Tools") to search for the topic.

Can I deduct property tax (real estate tax)?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300663

[Edited 02.25.2018 I 06:04PM PST]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LindaA
Expert Alumni

If your RV qualifies as your second home, enter the interest as mortgage interest. You'll enter the property tax for the RV as personal property tax. These expenses are only deductible if you use itemized deductions (Schedule A) instead of the standard deduction.

To enter mortgage interest for your RV:

• Select Tools.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type 1098.
  • In the results box, highlight 1098, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. If you've already entered mortgage interest for your main home, you'll land on the Mortgage deduction summary. Click Add a lender to enter the information for your RV. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.)
  • Even though you didn't receive a Form 1098, report the mortgage interest in Box 1 when you are on Let's get the details from your 1098 now. (Click the second screenshot below for reference.)

To enter property tax for your RV:

• Select Tools.
  • In the I'm looking for: box, type personal property tax.
  • In the results box, highlight personal property taxes, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. (Click the third and fourth screenshots below for reference.)

Can I deduct property tax (real estate tax)?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300663

[Edited 02.25.2018 I 06:04PM PST]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies