Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My mortgage interest shows up twice. I list it when asked for my home information and then again for my home office expenses. It looks like I'm double dipping.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My mortgage interest shows up twice. I list it when asked for my home information and then again for my home office expenses. It looks like I'm double dipping.

When you enter your mortgage interest for your home office deduction, you do not also need to enter it as a deduction for your home.  Turbo Tax will calculate the "business" percentage to be reported of your home office expense and will carry the balance of your Mortgage Interest to your Schedule A.

So, just go to your home information and delete the mortgage interest you entered there.  That will do away with the duplication.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When you enter your mortgage interest for your home office deduction, you do not also need to enter it as a deduction for your home.  Turbo Tax will calculate the "business" percentage to be reported of your home office expense and will carry the balance of your Mortgage Interest to your Schedule A.

So, just go to your home information and delete the mortgage interest you entered there.  That will do away with the duplication.

maxreeder

This also happened with Rental Property.  We rent a room out of our primary residence, and Turbotax states

"

Reminder: Earlier you indicated that you would enter the personal portion of your rental property expenses. Enter the personal portion of your mortgage interest here.
This deduction does not cover rental or business properties, or other things.

"

However, in my case we did not rent our room for the full year, so our Mortgage interest was pro-rated.  Turbotax DOES NOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH IT USED IN YOUR SCHEDULE E RENTAL.  This is very annoying.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies