turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Miscellaneous income form 1099misc I rcvd. this form for nonemployee compensation of $700. I used $200 to prchs. material for job, $250. went to the co-owner, $250 for me

The 1099-MISC was only sent to me. How do I add the co-owner and deduct the amount from $700 of materials used for job and the split profit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Miscellaneous income form 1099misc I rcvd. this form for nonemployee compensation of $700. I used $200 to prchs. material for job, $250. went to the co-owner, $250 for me

When you enter the income from the 1099, you will also have the opportunity to include expenses. Materials is one of the categories and so is contract labor. Since you will only be issuing $250 to your "co-owner", then you will not need to file a 1099 for the money you paid him.

As an aside, a sole-proprietorship is meant for one person. If you continue this endeavor, you will either need to form a Partnership, which is quite involved, or have the 1099 issued to each of you for your own profit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

When you enter the income from the 1099, you will also have the opportunity to include expenses. Materials is one of the categories and so is contract labor. Since you will only be issuing $250 to your "co-owner", then you will not need to file a 1099 for the money you paid him.

As an aside, a sole-proprietorship is meant for one person. If you continue this endeavor, you will either need to form a Partnership, which is quite involved, or have the 1099 issued to each of you for your own profit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies