turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cathy206

Purchased home in 1993 for $60K. I moved and rented it in 2010. I sold the property in 2018 for $125K. I have $69K in repairs, during 1993-2016. What can I claim/where?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Purchased home in 1993 for $60K. I moved and rented it in 2010. I sold the property in 2018 for $125K. I have $69K in repairs, during 1993-2016. What can I claim/where?

When you began the rental process you were asked both for the basis (cost plus major improvments) and your Fair Market Value. Both are compared to determine the amount to depreciate. Your major improvments should have been reflected there. 

Repairs that your made to your home while it was your personal property are not deductible. Repairs while a rental should have been taken as a deduction in the year they occurred.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

When you began the rental process you were asked both for the basis (cost plus major improvments) and your Fair Market Value. Both are compared to determine the amount to depreciate. Your major improvments should have been reflected there. 

Repairs that your made to your home while it was your personal property are not deductible. Repairs while a rental should have been taken as a deduction in the year they occurred.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies