Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

helaurin1

When will Form 5695 (residential energy credit form) REALLY be ready?

I'm anxiously waiting to get my taxes filed. I had EVERYTHING I needed by 1-15.... except form 5695, which said it'd be available on 1-17. 

Then it was 1-24. 

Then it was 1-31. 

Now it is on 2-07.  

In the meantime, I can't file my taxes, I can't get the refund that I was expecting to have to pay off a rather large bill (sorry world, but I hit my medical insurance max out of pocket quite early this year, but need to pay off the medical bill up to that point, and the specialty pharmacy won't send me my next round of medicine until the bill is paid which is literally putting my health and ability to remain a productive worker at risk), and someone (IRS?) is screwing with everyone who is eligible for a refund because of spending money on residential energy improvements. 

How do we know they aren't just going to eliminate this form and not allow us to even claim it on our taxes?

Or that they'll just keep holding the form, hoping that we'll give in, file without it, and forget about the positive impact it has on our taxes in the first place? 

I'm beyond frustrated.   I need my refund to pay that medical bill so that I can continue to receive my meds, and the IRS (presumably) is screwing with my life, but I can't file until they get their butts in gear and make that form available to use for tax filing. 

And yeah, I'm also frustrated because I've been hearing the scuttlebutt - I know taxes are scheduled to rise in two years, but I'm hearing that they're saying it won't be enough, they are talking about doubling the tax rates, and looking for more ways to have the middle class pay off the $34 trillion of US debt.  At the same time, social security is saying that they can only pay benefits to 2032-2033, so when I might be hoping to retire about a decade from now, it might only be there for another year or two before that is taken away too. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

The IRS version of Form 5695 is now ready; you can access it here. The IRS instructions for the form are still in draft status; the latest draft from January 26th is available here

The IRS has to update forms every time there is a change to the applicable tax law. 

The TurboTax forms availability tool provides the company's best estimate of the date the forms will be ready to use in the program. Programmers need to update TurboTax every time the IRS or a state agency updates a form. Yes the expected ready date is now February 7, 2024.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Following this. My son has three children and really needs his refund, and this form/credit is holding up his filing. It is now 3:46 on February 7.   When you say February 7, is that midnight???  

@StephanieS1234 TurboTax normally updates the software on Thursdays.  Check back tomorrow, 02/08.

Have no idea why TT posted a Wednesday date to be finalized.

dczernik

It's 2/7/24. it's not ready. this is not helpful. 

I received an email stating it was ready, 5695.

I paid turbo tax but was greeted with this message, "The IRS hasn't finalized one or more of your forms. Once forms are finalized, you will be able to access this section."

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Matt

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies