Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I answered yes that I had a HDHP my California refund went down

It was a refund of $499 when I said yes I had an HDHP it drop to owing $129.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

HSA contributions are not deductible in California.

This means that your HSA contributions are added back to your federal income to make your state income. This would result in you owing more tax at the moment the program realized that it needed to add back the HSA contributions.

The timing of the interaction of the federal and Californi returns is hard to pin down, but in any case you need to be sure to complete the HSA interview so that form 8889 is properly completed by TurboTax and your HSA contributions and distributions are reported as tax-free on the federal level.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

HSA contributions are not deductible in California.

This means that your HSA contributions are added back to your federal income to make your state income. This would result in you owing more tax at the moment the program realized that it needed to add back the HSA contributions.

The timing of the interaction of the federal and Californi returns is hard to pin down, but in any case you need to be sure to complete the HSA interview so that form 8889 is properly completed by TurboTax and your HSA contributions and distributions are reported as tax-free on the federal level.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies