turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brianb154

What valuation method does its deductible use for Chartible donations?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

TurboTax at https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901108 explains ItsDeductible values as follows:

How do you determine the fair market value?

To determine fair market values, we gather pricing information from auction websites like eBay as well as resale outlets and thrift stores across the U.S.

Every day we collect information from hundreds of thousands of completed eBay auctions to capture valuations that are not commonly found in thrift, consignment, or specialty stores.

We then perform a statistical calculation to determine the fair market value of the item, which is then translated to a high, medium, or low value.

We also collect pricing information through manual processes, for example surveying thrift and consignment stores across the country.

This combination of electronic and manual price-collection allows us to create a comprehensive, up-to-date collection of values based on real-world transactions that comply with IRS guidelines.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

TurboTax at https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901108 explains ItsDeductible values as follows:

How do you determine the fair market value?

To determine fair market values, we gather pricing information from auction websites like eBay as well as resale outlets and thrift stores across the U.S.

Every day we collect information from hundreds of thousands of completed eBay auctions to capture valuations that are not commonly found in thrift, consignment, or specialty stores.

We then perform a statistical calculation to determine the fair market value of the item, which is then translated to a high, medium, or low value.

We also collect pricing information through manual processes, for example surveying thrift and consignment stores across the country.

This combination of electronic and manual price-collection allows us to create a comprehensive, up-to-date collection of values based on real-world transactions that comply with IRS guidelines.

brianb154

Which method do you choose in Turbo Tax?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

I'm not sure I understand your question - if you choose ItsDeductible to value your donations there is no choice (except to determine your own valuations.)
brianb154

In Turbo Tax, you need to choose a Method Used to Determine Value and Its Deductible is not a choice.
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

When I use Turbotax it only asks that question if I don't use ItsDeductible.  If I do, the question doesn't come up.
brianb154

So I do not transfer the information from Its Deductible so which Value Method would I choose from the Drop Down List?
bwa
Alumni
Alumni

It you didn't use itsdeductible, how did you determine the values you used?
brianb154

I used Its Deductible, but I did not transfer the information into Turbo Tax, I entered the results manually.  What would I choose from the Drop Down in Turbo Tax?

I have this same issue EVERY year. Turbo Tax doesn't let me transfer the info over or like this year, it lost everything I entered in It's Deductible. So  I have the same question. How do I determine the value of my items for Turbo Tax purposes? And why isn't It's Deductible an option?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies