Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What is the original cost of our home? My inlaws purchased it in 1986 for $65,000 in their name but my husband made payments. In 1998 they quitclaimed deed to us for $1.

In 2002, we refinanced the loan for $120k with $50k cashout to remodel in 2002 and 2003. The home appraised for $170k in 2002 for the lender. We also took out another loan for $20k in 2007 for additional improvements. In 2016 we sold the home for $289K. Also, how do we handle the improvements of $50K? Do we add these to the basis or not since it is included in the refi loan amount? Please help!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What is the original cost of our home? My inlaws purchased it in 1986 for $65,000 in their name but my husband made payments. In 1998 they quitclaimed deed to us for $1.

Any loans are completely irrelevant.  Your cost basis is what you paid (or the value of the gift) plus the cost of your improvements.  You received a gift of equity from your in-laws so you received their basis of $65,000.  If you made $50,000 of improvements, then your total adjusted basis is $115,000.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Any loans are completely irrelevant.  Your cost basis is what you paid (or the value of the gift) plus the cost of your improvements.  You received a gift of equity from your in-laws so you received their basis of $65,000.  If you made $50,000 of improvements, then your total adjusted basis is $115,000.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies