Solved: What is the original cost of our home? My inlaws purchased it in 1986 for $65,000 in their name but my husband made payments. In 1998 they quitclaimed deed to us for $1.

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the original cost of our home? My inlaws purchased it in 1986 for $65,000 in their name but my husband made payments. In 1998 they quitclaimed deed to us for $1.

In 2002, we refinanced the loan for $120k with $50k cashout to remodel in 2002 and 2003. The home appraised for $170k in 2002 for the lender. We also took out another loan for $20k in 2007 for additional improvements. In 2016 we sold the home for $289K. Also, how do we handle the improvements of $50K? Do we add these to the basis or not since it is included in the refi loan amount? Please help!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Level 15

What is the original cost of our home? My inlaws purchased it in 1986 for $65,000 in their name but my husband made payments. In 1998 they quitclaimed deed to us for $1.

Any loans are completely irrelevant.  Your cost basis is what you paid (or the value of the gift) plus the cost of your improvements.  You received a gift of equity from your in-laws so you received their basis of $65,000.  If you made $50,000 of improvements, then your total adjusted basis is $115,000.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Level 15

Any loans are completely irrelevant.  Your cost basis is what you paid (or the value of the gift) plus the cost of your improvements.  You received a gift of equity from your in-laws so you received their basis of $65,000.  If you made $50,000 of improvements, then your total adjusted basis is $115,000.

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings