What is the deductible portion on my car registrat...

Roger9

What is the deductible portion on my car registration fee for a 2019 Subaru Crosstrek?

Only if your state uses the value of the vehicle for the registration fee would it be deductible as an itemized deduction on your tax return.  What state?

Where do I enter the Personal Property Tax I paid?

You’ll find this deduction listed under the Deductions & Credits section of your federal tax return.

Here's how to enter your personal property taxes:

1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax.
    (To do this, sign in to TurboTax and select the Take Me to My Return button.)
  2. Search for "personal property taxes" and select the “Jump to” link.
  3. Answer Yes to Did you pay personal property taxes in 2017?
  4. On the How much did you pay in personal property taxes during 2017? screen enter your info, and select Continue.

To qualify for this deduction, the personal property taxes you paid must have been:

• Charged on personal property you own
  • Based only on the value of the personal property
  • Charged on an annual basis (regardless of how often it’s collected)

If you paid a tax on your car in one of the few states where car registration fees aren't deductible, you can claim it as personal property tax, if it meets the above qualifications.

Related Information:

Anonymous
Not applicable

a portion would also be deductible if there was qualifying business usage as an independent contractor, partner, or maybe even corporate shareholder.