turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I paid for car registration for a car registered under my mother's name?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Lakeisha

What if I paid for car registration for a car registered under my mother's name?

If your Mom owns the vehicle, then no you may not deduct it.

If any portion of the fee is deductible it is deducted by the individual that owned the car and paid the fee.

I hope this answers your question.
TaxTN99
Returning Member

What if a car is co-owned by my parents and me, both on registration and title, but they pay the registration, car payments, and insurance -- I pay gas and maintenance, but I am the only driver and use the car for my business, may I deduct all those expenses on my schedule C?

PattiF
Expert Alumni

No, you can only deduct the expenses that you paid. But you can deduct the expenses for operating the car for your business. 

Vehicle expenses can be reported by actual expenses, gas, and maintenance; or using the mileage method. This is a rate that you multiply the total miles driven. 

Please see this TurboTax Tips for more information about Standard Mileage vs. Actual Expenses.

@TaxTN99 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies