turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What if I don't have receipts for my donations?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
LindaA
Expert Alumni

For cash donations of less than $250, the IRS lets you use a bank record, such as a canceled check, a bank or credit union statement, or a credit card statement, in lieu of a receipt. Additionally, for cash contributions of $250 or more, you will need an acknowledgment from the qualified charity.

For non-cash contributions, things become a bit more complicated and the paperwork depends on the amount and type of the charitable deduction. For example, donations of less than $250 require a receipt unless it is impractical to get one, for example if you made donations at the charity's unattended drop site. You are still required to keep reliable written records for each item of contributed property. For more information, see Records to Keep in IRS Pub 526, Charitable Contributions.

What if no receipts for 2020?

DianeW777
Employee Tax Expert

The tax law is clear that you must have receipts to be allowed to take the deduction.

It is your responsibility to prove the amount of your donations. And as @LindaA stated above you must have proof of the cash donations.  If you give cash, check or charge payments on one day to one organization of $250 or more, you must have a receipt in your hands before filing your tax return. If not, you are not entitled to the deduction.

See Records to Keep in IRS Pub 526, Charitable Contributions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies