Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I do if the Turbo Tax APP is wrong? It added $9060 for contributions made by my employer to my HSA when it was only $300.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

What do I do if the Turbo Tax APP is wrong? It added $9060 for contributions made by my employer to my HSA when it was only $300.

dmertz
Level 15

"Employer contributions" to an HSA consist of all contributions made through the employer, including those that you make by payroll deductions, and are reported with code W in box 12 of your W-2.  Make sure than you do not report as personal contributions any amounts contributed by payroll deduction.

check what's on your actual w-2 for box 12 W vs what you entered in Turbotax.

if you only gave $300 and the employer made no matching contribution 12W on your w-2 should be $300

if your actual w-2 shows $9k contact your employer

if both your W-2 and the entry in Turbotax are $300 contact support

by the way any amount on 12W in Turbotax should appear on line 9 of form 8889 do not enter as your own direct contributions., those would appear on line 2.

since this HSA contribution is through the employer the deduction you get is by a reduction in your taxable wages. there should be no deduction on schedule 1 line 13

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies