turboforme-terry

We own a few cattle and have some farm expenses to deduct, however, I could not find a place to do this, can you help?

The expenses are hay, feed, the loss of a cow.

Cattlerancher

You may not qualify for filing a schedule F, if you are not operating a for-profit farm business (and/or raising backyard beef). It may be best for you to claim Hobby Income and Expenses and you would not have to upgrade to Self Employed.

Texas Roger

If you need Schedule F to enter your farm income and expenses, you must upgrade to Self Employed.
turboforme-terry

The expenses are more than the income, do you recommend we just let it go?
Texas Roger

No you are required to enter all income and expenses on your tax return.
Cattlerancher

Ok-66

Need to enter hay and feed and supplies for cattle

Ok-66

How do I find hobby income

DianeW777

Hobby Income is entered as other income, unless it's actually a business. The full amount you received must be reported.  There is no expense allowed.

• Beginning in 2018, under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), hobby expenses can no longer be used as an itemized deduction.  
  1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Click on Federal Taxes tab.
  3. Choose Wages and Income.
  4. Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Start to to right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  5. See the image below