turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We own a few cattle and have some farm expenses to deduct, however, I could not find a place to do this, can you help?

The expenses are hay, feed, the loss of a cow.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We own a few cattle and have some farm expenses to deduct, however, I could not find a place to do this, can you help?

You may not qualify for filing a schedule F, if you are not operating a for-profit farm business (and/or raising backyard beef). It may be best for you to claim Hobby Income and Expenses and you would not have to upgrade to Self Employed.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

If you need Schedule F to enter your farm income and expenses, you must upgrade to Self Employed.

The expenses are more than the income, do you recommend we just let it go?

No you are required to enter all income and expenses on your tax return.

You may not qualify for filing a schedule F, if you are not operating a for-profit farm business (and/or raising backyard beef). It may be best for you to claim Hobby Income and Expenses and you would not have to upgrade to Self Employed.

Ok-66
Returning Member

Need to enter hay and feed and supplies for cattle

Ok-66
Returning Member

How do I find hobby income

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Hobby Income is entered as other income, unless it's actually a business. The full amount you received must be reported.  There is no expense allowed.

• Beginning in 2018, under the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA), hobby expenses can no longer be used as an itemized deduction.  
  1. Sign in to your TurboTax account.
  2. Click on Federal Taxes tab.
  3. Choose Wages and Income.
  4. Scroll down to Less Common Income and click Start to to right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
  5. See the image below

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies