Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

irs21g

We are both in an rdp with calif. as of 9/2017. Can I take the deduction for interest on a residential loan that is in her name, only, but both are on the deed?

My question has to do with entering the mortgage loan interest on a residence that both I and my girlfriend own, jointly, and reside in, long before we  entered into a Registered Domestic Partnership (RDP) with the State of Calif. The loan is in HER name, but the property tax is in both our names. I'm entering my data first, and I'm  asked for the mortgage loan interest. I get the impression I can also take the deduction since we are in a RDP relationship.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

We are both in an rdp with calif. as of 9/2017. Can I take the deduction for interest on a residential loan that is in her name, only, but both are on the deed?

You could each take half the deduction if you each paid half.  Two people can never deduct the full amount of the same expense.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Anita01

You could each take half the deduction if you each paid half.  Two people can never deduct the full amount of the same expense.

irs21g

Thank you for your response! It helped clarified how this deduction should be handled.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies