Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xiyanL666

US China treaty in California.

Hi,

I'm a resident alien in California. I received W-2 and 1042-S from my school. I know that we have the China-US treaty which states that the income within $5k does not need to be taxed. But I've also heard that California does not accept treaties? So I was wondering if I still need to file this??

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@xiyanL666 , just to make sure that you are indeed a resident for tax purposes :

(a) when did you enter the  U SA with F-1?  Were there any other entries during  the prior years ?

(b) are you married to a US person ( citizen/GreenCard/ Resident for Tax Purposes )?

(c) How did you file your return for 2022.

I ask these questions ( and need answers to ) because  TurboTax supports only the 1040 series of forms  ( Not 1040-NR ).

Generally though most states do not recognize  US-Other country tax treaties.  And California specifically uses  a form to declare the sourcing of  incomes  ( CA or  "other State " ).

I will circle back once I hear from you --yes ?

xiyanL666

Hi, I am a resident alien calculated by Glacier Tax Prep. I entered as F1 in 2019, but has been J2 in 2011-2012 which makes me a resident alien. I’m not married. 
I mailed W-2 and 1042s to IRS last year. 

I just wanted to ask if I add “-5000” for the tax treaty at the federal tax, do I need to subtract it at state tax? Thanks!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

The US China tax treaty does not apply to your state return. So you would have to add it back to your CA income. 

"The U.S. Supreme Court in considering other international bilateral treaties on taxation has, on several occasions, concluded that these treaties do not extend to the states." Tax Notes

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
xiyanL666

How should I add it back to my CA income? Like what’s the step-by-step procedure in TurboTax? Thank you!

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Go to the State Taxes tab in your return and begin working on your California return. At some point you will reach a screen that says Here is the Income California handles Differently. In this screen go to:

• Wages 
  • income Exempted by US Tax Treaties

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies