Employee business expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return for tax years 2018 thru 2025. Except for Armed Forces reservists, qualified performing artists, fee-basis state or local government officials, and employees with impairment-related work expenses. They are entered into the program to be used on the state tax return if your state still allows them.
These items are no longer deductible on your federal return.
However, if your state allows you to itemize, you may be able to claim a deduction on the state return.
Enter all of your information in the federal section to ensure it gets pulled into your state return.
- Go to the Federal section of the program
- Go to Deductions & Credits
- Under All breaks, select Employment Expenses
- Select Job Expenses for W-2 Income
- On the next page, you should see a page titled Review your job-related expenses info.
- Review your input if needed.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"