Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

uncorrectable “error" on form 2210 line D

Turbo Tax calculated an underpayment penalty despite a healthy refund. It also asked for us to fix "Form 2210: Line D Withholding. The sum of the four columns is not equal to your total withholding. . . "

The window to the form 2210 only shows 3 possible places to make a  correction entry  with two columns in the form 2210 sharing one of them. The widow does not allow not allow me to make corrections. It also indicates a very large amount in one of the columns which is a large multiple of the amount we actually had withheld entered during the income part of the tax program.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

same problems. apparently it has been on going for several years and intuit has REFUSED to fix it. we need to some real help people.

BillM223
Expert Alumni

@perplexedinVA 

There are two things about the penalty on the underpayment of estimated taxes:

1. You can avoid it if you pay more than a set amount.

2. Even if you pay more than the set minimum, you must pay it out more or less evenly over the course of the year.

This means that getting a refund does not mean you are guaranteed to avoid an underpayment penalty. 

Also, can you share with us a screen shot that you are describing (Please ensure that there is no personally identifiable information on it. Thanks!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Absolutely I appreciate any help I can get to get this resolved. I appreciate it.

turbo tax error.JPG

Here is the screen shot.

Thanks to all who reviewed and made suggestions. In the interest of getting my taxes done, I followed the advice I found on this forum from a couple of years back and simply omitted the offending worksheet (and form). When I then ran the online review, everything was good. 

I keep seeing this answer, but I can't figure out for the life of me how to delete Form 2210! I don't see an option to do that anywhere. I accidentally checked D (about amounts withheld or paid) and it was a mistake, and even though I keep going back and marking "no" instead of "yes," it still shows up checked on my final return and won't let me file!!! I'm beyond frustrated. How do you get to a screen where you see an option to delete that form and start over? The only way I can get to it is through the underpayment question, but it just prompts me with questions, I don't see a screen that lists the forms and lets you delete and start over.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

I'm not sure what you checked for "D", but this is a way to delete the 2210.  

If you do owe taxes, it will regenerate itself.

On the menu bar on the left.              

1. Select Tax Tools
  2. On the drop-down select Tools
  3. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  4. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  5. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  6. Select the Form 2210
  7. Click on Delete.
  8. Always use extreme caution when deleting information from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences.

Please contact us again with any additional questions or to provide some additional details.

@jscam 

Thank you so much!! That worked. I was afraid I was going to have to sit on the phone with customer service for an hour or delete my entire self-employed income section and start over to get rid of it. Appreciate the help.

How can I delete that form??!

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If you are trying to delete Form 2210, in TurboTax Online:

On the menu bar on the left.              

1. Select Tax Tools
  2. On the drop-down select Tools
  3. On the Pop-Up menu select Delete a Form
  4. This will give you all of the forms in your return
  5. Scroll down to the form you want to delete
  6. Select the Form 2210
  7. Click on Delete.
  8. Always use extreme caution when deleting information from your tax return.  There could be unintended consequences.

If you might owe the underpayment penalty, the form could regenerate. 

You could also go through the Underpayment Penalty section in Other Tax Situations and answer the questions. This could result in a change in the penalty calculation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies