Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to import second instance of brokerage (completely different accounts/credentials/data)

Using TT Home & Business desktop software. When importing Fidelity #1, it imports as expected, and shows me what it received. I click OK, and it's done. I then go to 'import another brokerage' and tell it Fidelity again (this is a second, completely unrelated account, with no relationship to the first one, different login, different password, different everything... the two accounts are 100% separate, and don't know of each other's existence). It pops open the login page, where I enter Fidelity #2 credentials. It then pretends to download, and when "done" it presents me with the SAME items it already downloaded before when I did Fidelity #1. If I click the OK button to import it anyway, there is only one instance of Fidelity in the resulting import review page. The second account simply is not imported. But worse, it pretends that it did... but that is exposed as an obvious error because the Fidelity #2 account has significantly different data (eg, #1 has 1099-DIV of about $50, and #2 has 1099-DIV of about $35,000). Same vastly different numbers for 1099-INT, 1099-B, etc.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Unable to import second instance of brokerage (completely different accounts/credentials/data)

If you have a single broker for multiple accounts, when selecting to add another account for the same broker: Clear cookies and then search for your broker via the search bar rather than clicking the broker icon. This should allow the screen to input account information and import the data.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I have a similar issue.  My wife and I both use the same broker.  I imported her into fine.  When I tried to import my info, TT didn't prompt my for my login credentials. It just used her credentials.  I can't find any way to force TT to use my credentials for my import.  What's the fix or workaround?  Thanks.

Thanks. Deleting all cookies allows me to import the second instance, but at no point does it let me choose who the upload applies to (there is typically a set of radio buttons with 'me/spouse/both options.' Because there is no radio button to define who the upload is for, it assumes it is for me (it is NOT). And all future interactions with this data speak to ME (as in, "Labboypro, on form xyz, the value suchandsuch is missing...")... so, in order to investigate, I have to open up 15 different PDFs (13 of which don't actually belong to me) because the tax software thinks all 15 are mine. I am currently looking for a $500 "issue" in over 300 pages of transaction documents that the software KNOWS ABOUT... but can't give me a proper hint as to where to look.

I feel like a beta tester.

I have the same issue with two accounts at Fidelity. Both will be used for our taxes, but have different logons and passwords. This has worked just fine for me in the past. I have deleted cookies and rebooted and restarted TT.  I'm at a loss as to what to do at this point.  TT Desktop H&B. 

I finally figured it out. After I had downloaded from one account and the second one would not work, I looked at the Fidelity website and noticed that I was already logged in to my account (the one I had downloaded from). Turns out that TurboTax had not dropped the connection from the first account. I logged out of that one and tried to download the second account and I was presented with the login screen and could then download from the second account. I guess if I had waited long enough between downloads, Fidelity would have logged me out of the first one. Not very secure, TurboTax!

Thank you for solving the puzzle. I had the exact same issue. I logged out of the first Fidelity account and logged into the second Fidelity account. The second time TT imported from the second account. It was much simpler last year when we logged in directly on TT. But having to sign into TT in order to access your brokerage accounts does not seem to be helpful. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies