Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

geoff2ey

Turbotax will not accept my foreign phone number.

Only US phone number is accepted
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

The IRS doesn’t call. In order to complete and e-file your return, you can enter the phone number of a relative or friend in the U.S,, or a "dummy number" (800-555-1212).

geoff2ey

Thank you for the suggestion to use a dummy US phone number to create a Turbotax account.

I did this and proceeded to take an hour or two and prepare my 1040 online.

Unfortunately the Turbotax payment system is also flawed as it insisted on a US format phone number to pay Turbotax.   Putting in a dummy number simply doesn’t work, my credit card is registered to my UK address and they weren’t fooled by a dummy number.

So I’m no further forward.

Are you trying to pay your TurboTax fees with a credit card that is not a U.S. card?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/payments/help/what-forms-of-payment-does-turbotax-online-accept/00...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
geoff2ey

Nope.  I’ve had this Bank of America account for many years, it is registered to my UK address.  I can rock up at most places in the known world and use my BofA credit and indeed the debit card for goods and services.  It works with buying stuff off Amazon in the US. 

Except TurboTax is stuck firmly in the last century.  Why not use PayPal? I can’t see what risk there is to TurboTax.  Ho hum, they need a rethink.

Sorry---unless your card is linked to a U.S. billing address you will not be able to use it to pay on this site, even though you may think Intuit needs a "rethink" on the issue.   If there is somewhere that you can purchase one of those prepaid cards with a U.S. address--like a Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or American Express---you could purchase one for the amount you need to pay to TurboTax and use it.    Or if Amazon allows you to make purchases---how about purchasing and using the CD/download instead of using online TT?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
geoff2ey

Thanks for the workarounds but I’ll use another provider.  It bothers me a little to see TurboTax advertising its services for overseas taxpayers and then being “blind” to methods of payment from overseas. 

Do they not roadtest their site?  I guess not, these days we are all Beta testers but there’s no direct feedback from the user, TurboTax hide behind “comment” and “how was your experience “ customer service questions which don’t read by anyone who can make a change.

Again, thanks for trying to help.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies