Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

If it is blank, type in a number, say 100, then delete that number. It should now be blank and any place holder (that you can’t see) hopefully will also be deleted. Hope that works for you. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

TurboTax says I can't e-file state return because my return claims a solar and wind energy credit carryover. I don't have energy credit carryover.

The credit may be blank, but you probably still have a zero in the Solar and Wind Credit Carryover fields.   Click Start next to the Carryover line, which is below the actual credit.  @katieb7 

If you are using the desktop software, you can go into Forms mode and delete the zero on the NY Tax/Credit Wks or you can delete Form IT-255.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
katieb7

Thank you both. I tried this multiple times. It says I am not eligible however I still cannot get past the "error." I do not have a 255 form (previously deleted due to another issue). If I delete the Other tax credits and taxes worksheet will that delete all (star and child tax credit)? Thank you, Kate

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Kate it seems you are stuck in a loop.  However, no you should be able to delete any information regarding the energy credit and salvage everything else.  Since you are not entitled to the credit you should be able to just go back into the area where it was entered to delete it.  This should not involve any other part of your return.

Try clearing your history cookies and cache'.  This sometimes remove the hang ups from prior entries.  Follow steps below.

Cookies are small files that temporarily store data on your computer. We use them to personalize your experience so you see information you already entered and not items that are irrelevant or repetitive.

On rare occasions, they may make your browser think you already did something that you still need to do. To fix that, you'll need to delete (clear) the cookies from your browser.

Each browser has a slightly different method for deleting cookies. Choose the browser you're using:

Related Information:

@katieb7

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The only comment that actually helped. Thank you!

tmason98
Returning Member

double check that theres no home energy credit on federal return then delete state and readd . worked for me

lgodshal

TurboTax response to this obvious software bug is to scrap the  return and start over! Do you really understand the problem? 

I'm seeing this issue as well when attempting to file my NY State return using TurboTax Online.  I tried adding values to the "Unused Solar Energy Credit Carryover from Prior Years" screens, which caused an "IT-255 (Untitled)" form to appear in my Form List.  I deleted that form and my review still stopped me, stating I'm ineligible from e-filing due to this (false) claim.

ineligible-from-filing.png

I also tried clearing my cache and cookies (I'm using Microsoft Edge), and still no luck.

Any suggestions?

To anyone unfortunate enough to be seeing this error, I found a fix using TurboTax Online.  In my forms list (Left toolbar > Tax Tools > Tools > Delete a form), I deleted all "IT-255" forms and my "Other Tax Credits and Taxes Worksheet" form under the "New York Return" section of this list.  The worksheet was the last holdup that was causing me issues.

With this worksheet deleted, my error cleared and I was finally able to e-file my NYS tax return. 😓

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies