turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rjmtre

Turbotax is telling me to take the itemized deduction, even though it is lower than the standard deduction. This increases my refund. Why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is telling me to take the itemized deduction, even though it is lower than the standard deduction. This increases my refund. Why?

This is very odd- because we cannot see your tax return, you may want to call in so a live assistant can help.  See What is the TurboTax phone number?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rjmtre

I did speak with live and got my answer.  It was due to prior years' Alternative Minimum Tax and the "credit" that I had built up as a result.  I didn't fully understand, and it was a new one for the live CPA as well, but it turns out that since I had been hit so hard with AMT in prior years, this now serves as a "credit" if I itemize.  This credit can last up to 20 years! - Thanks

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

If you are interested in more information on AMT and AMT credit carryforward,  please see this TurboTax article on AMT and Common Tax Questions

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies