rjmtre

Turbotax is telling me to take the itemized deduction, even though it is lower than the standard deduction. This increases my refund. Why?

MaryK1101

This is very odd- because we cannot see your tax return, you may want to call in so a live assistant can help.  See What is the TurboTax phone number?

rjmtre

I did speak with live and got my answer.  It was due to prior years' Alternative Minimum Tax and the "credit" that I had built up as a result.  I didn't fully understand, and it was a new one for the live CPA as well, but it turns out that since I had been hit so hard with AMT in prior years, this now serves as a "credit" if I itemize.  This credit can last up to 20 years! - Thanks

KarenJ2

If you are interested in more information on AMT and AMT credit carryforward,  please see this TurboTax article on AMT and Common Tax Questions