turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax is not letting me itemize my deductions for California because I am taking the standard Federal deduction.

I get to the page which says "California Federal Itemized Deductions - You may be able to itemize deductions on your California return even though you didn't itemize on your federal return (this is a good thing!). If you had the following items and didn't enter them in the Federal Taxes, Deductions and Credits area, return to that area and enter them now."

But when I try to return to the Federal Deductions and Credits area to itemize my deductions, it tells me that I don't have to enter it because I'm taking the standard deduction.

Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TurboTax is not letting me itemize my deductions for California because I am taking the standard Federal deduction.

I have not heard this issue before. I have the Turbo Tax desktop for federal and California state returns but I have used the online version in past years. Even though your initial run through did not generate enough deductions to make it worth while to itemize, you can go back and add new deductions or edit ones already entered. Turbo Tax is not going to stop you from doing that. Select the Federal Taxes tab and then Deductions & Credits tab then 'I'll chose what I want to work on'. But you should not need to if you have already entered all your possible deductions. Take a look at your California return for Schedule CA. This form should be included for your California taxes regardless if you itemize or not on the federal. This is the California answer to the federal Schedule A that shows the deductions from the federal with additions and subtractions for California.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Ignore that message.  You can still enter the deductions and expenses in the federal section.  

The differences between Federal law and California law may make it advantageous for you to itemize for California when it doesn't  for your federal return.

• The standard deduction is much lower than your federal standard deduction, so that is why it is saying you can try when you  are in the CA return.   The standard deduction for a single person or a person Married Filing Separately is $5,363.  The standard deduction for Married Filing Jointly, Head of Household and Qualifying Widow is $10,726.
  • California does allow employee job expenses that exceed 2.5% of your AGI while the IRS does not allow any employee job related expenses.
  • Home mortgage interest limit on home value is $1,000,000 versus the IRS cap of $750,000
  • Alimony is deductible by the payor and considered income to the payee

California Itemized Deductions

@emilyadeleallen 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies