Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is forcing me to file Form 1116, even though I'm eligible to not file. This also forces me to upgrade to Deluxe.

My 1099-DIV has $3 in foreign taxes paid.  I'm eligible to get the credit without filing a Form 1116 (according to Turbotax's own website: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/military/filing-irs-form-1116-to-claim-the-foreign-tax-credit/L...:(

Turbotax Form 1116.png

I'm eligible for both point 1 and 2, but filing a 1099-DIV in Turbotax is forcing me to file Form 1116.  This is the only form making my return not "simple", which forces my to upgrade to Deluxe edition.  I'm being forced by Turbotax to pay $59 to upgrade to Deluxe for non-simple returns, in order to file a Form 1116 (which by their own admission I don't need to) to get a $3 Foreign Tax Credit.  Doubly frustrating is the fact that this 1099-DIV is from Acorns.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Turbotax is forcing me to file Form 1116, even though I'm eligible to not file. This also forces me to upgrade to Deluxe.

My suggestion is to first try to remove form 1116 by going to tax tools>tools>delete a form>delete form 1116.  If this doesn't work, remove the foreign tax paid in Box 7 of the 1099 DIV because it isn't worth paying the $59 upgrade just to claim a $3 credit.

Let us know if his works.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No. The $3 in foreign tax will give you a credit of $3 on your tax return. I am assuming here at $3 this is a mutual fund that knows which countries qualify for the deduction/ credit. If losing $3 is cheaper than upgrading, that would be the way to go - delete the foreign tax paid. You need to report the 1099-DIV and any dividend interest. You just don't need to report the foreign tax paid in box 7 - leave it blank.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

My suggestion is to first try to remove form 1116 by going to tax tools>tools>delete a form>delete form 1116.  If this doesn't work, remove the foreign tax paid in Box 7 of the 1099 DIV because it isn't worth paying the $59 upgrade just to claim a $3 credit.

Let us know if his works.

@DaveF1006    is spot on ... just remove the $3 that is causing this issue or use a different product.

TurboTax Free Edition is very limited. It's only for the simplest tax returns. 

If your AGI is $73,000 or less you can probably use 
IRS Free File.

Do I not need to disclose the $3 in foreign tax paid?  

You can't delete Form 1116, it's not in the list of documents, it just goes away when I delete the 1099-DIV.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

No. The $3 in foreign tax will give you a credit of $3 on your tax return. I am assuming here at $3 this is a mutual fund that knows which countries qualify for the deduction/ credit. If losing $3 is cheaper than upgrading, that would be the way to go - delete the foreign tax paid. You need to report the 1099-DIV and any dividend interest. You just don't need to report the foreign tax paid in box 7 - leave it blank.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies