turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkea2001

Why is TT deducting my HSA payouts from my Out of pocket medical expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

TurboTax expects the taxpayer to enter all medical bills (no matter how paid) in the Itemized Deduction interview (Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->Medical Expenses).

Then TurboTax does two things: (1) it asks the taxpayer for the amount of insurance reimbursement to net against the total medical bills, and (2) it carries the HSA distributions automatically to this process to net against bills paid with HSA funds. The result of which is only those bills that were paid with after-tax money, which may be deductible on Schedule A.

For taxpayers without an HSA, it doesn't matter if the taxpayer enters only the net medical expenses (i.e., net of insurance reimbursement), because in this case the effect is the same. But for HSA taxpayers, it's best to enter all medical bills in the Itemized Deduction interview.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

TurboTax expects the taxpayer to enter all medical bills (no matter how paid) in the Itemized Deduction interview (Federal->Deductions & Credits->Medical->Medical Expenses).

Then TurboTax does two things: (1) it asks the taxpayer for the amount of insurance reimbursement to net against the total medical bills, and (2) it carries the HSA distributions automatically to this process to net against bills paid with HSA funds. The result of which is only those bills that were paid with after-tax money, which may be deductible on Schedule A.

For taxpayers without an HSA, it doesn't matter if the taxpayer enters only the net medical expenses (i.e., net of insurance reimbursement), because in this case the effect is the same. But for HSA taxpayers, it's best to enter all medical bills in the Itemized Deduction interview.

mkea2001

OK I understand now
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies