turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jim30
Returning Member

Turbo tax thinks I have hsa

My W2 form has a DD code in box 12 which is an employers contribution to health care.  This is NOT an HSA or HDHP.  However, turbo tax keeps indicating I need to fix an error by stating whether my spouse or I have a HSA.  I completed the interview and stated 'none' or no for HSA in 2016 for both myself and spouse and 'non' in 2017.  However, turbo tax still thinks I had an HSA in 2017.   How can I resolve this error?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You are correct that code DD in box 12 of the W-2 does not indicate an HSA - it is the health insurance premiums paid by you and your employer on your health policy.

Did you have a code of W in box 12 on the W-2? If so, then your employer thinks that you have an HSA and you will want to discuss that with them.

However, you may have accidentally entered something that made TurboTax think that you had an HSA.

If you really don't have an HSA (or the code W in box 12), then do the following to delete all HSA data in your tax return:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

Now continue with your return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are correct that code DD in box 12 of the W-2 does not indicate an HSA - it is the health insurance premiums paid by you and your employer on your health policy.

Did you have a code of W in box 12 on the W-2? If so, then your employer thinks that you have an HSA and you will want to discuss that with them.

However, you may have accidentally entered something that made TurboTax think that you had an HSA.

If you really don't have an HSA (or the code W in box 12), then do the following to delete all HSA data in your tax return:

1. make a copy of your W-2(s) (if you don't have the paper copies)

2. delete your W-2(s) (use the garbage can icon next to the W-2(s) on the Income screen

*** Desktop***

3. go to View (at the top), choose Forms, and select the desired form. Note the Delete Form button at the bottom of the screen.

*** Online ***

3. go to Tax Tools (on the left), and navigate to Tools->Delete a form

4. delete form(s) 1099-SA (if one), 8889-T, and 8889-S (if one)

5. go back and re-add your W-2(s), preferably adding them manually

Now continue with your return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies