Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT for Ohio prompts for medical care expenses. Ohio IT 1040 states to include expenses Medical in excess of 7.5% of federal AGI. Since I'm below 7.5%, should I input $0?

I have a feeling that the TurboTax question "Medical Care Expenses Paid?" is not specific enough for the state of Ohio, but cannot tell for certain. For example, let's say my medical expenses [I'm already aware of what qualifies as a medical expense, BTW] are only $3k, but in order to get to get to the excess, I need to go over $12k (pretending that's my 7.5% of federal AGI figure). I'm questioning whether my inputting of $3k will translate / be misinterpreted to declare to Ohio that I had $3k in medical expenses on top of the $12k, rather than simply stating I had $3k of medical expenses for the year. If that is the case, I feel it is safer for me to not list anything at all (or simply zero). Because I don't have the forms view in the TurboTax Online version, I am not able to determine how answering this question will affect my Ohio return. If anyone happens to know I would be most appreciative!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

TT for Ohio prompts for medical care expenses. Ohio IT 1040 states to include expenses Medical in excess of 7.5% of federal AGI. Since I'm below 7.5%, should I input $0?

You correctly understand how the deduction works regarding only being able to deduct medical expenses beyond the 7.5% threshold.

TurboTax does all the calculations for you, so when it asks for your medical expenses, it asks for a total without regard to the threshold. When you enter your total medical expenses as $3000, the software will see that as an annual amount, not an amount over the threshold. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You correctly understand how the deduction works regarding only being able to deduct medical expenses beyond the 7.5% threshold.

TurboTax does all the calculations for you, so when it asks for your medical expenses, it asks for a total without regard to the threshold. When you enter your total medical expenses as $3000, the software will see that as an annual amount, not an amount over the threshold. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm glad you could understand me despite the typos! I tend to stay up late at night and my mind isn't the sharpest during these times. Thank you so much for answering my question clearly and quickly! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies