hicksp002

Tricare Supplement Insurance for Medical Expenses

I'm trying to determine if a Tricare Supplemental Insurance can be counted for Medical Expenses.  My tricare supplement insurance states the following:  "A TRICARE Supplement Plan wraps around your TRICARE health insurance coverage to help cover the costs TRICARE leaves behind." 

Basically, the plan covers out of pocket expenses that count toward your catastrophic cap (copays, coinsurance, prescription costs/copays, etc.), but you pay about $150 - $200 per month for that coverage.

Can I count this insurance towards the Medical and Dental Expenses Deduction?

JohnW152

You can claim this as a deduction if your premiums were paid with after-tax dollars.  You'll deduct the premiums as a medical expense when you itemize deductions. 

However, if your premiums were paid for with pre-tax dollars, you can't deduct them.

Please see Insurance Premiums You Can't Include in the IRS's Publication 502, Medical and Dental Expenses for more information.

JohnW152

hicksp002

Yep, all after tax dollars.  I've been doing this since 2014 without claiming this as medical expenses.

Also realized that I should have been counting long-term care insurance. 

Luckily my mortgage interest maxes out my deductions, and the two health insurance expenses would not have influenced overall deductions.

Thanks for your response.