Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Travel costs for charitable work

I know that I can deduct travel expenses such as mileage and lodging when working for a charitable organization.  Can I also deduct expenses that we incur such as a petsitter since both my wife and I participated in the work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Although I know of no court case addressing this issue, I doubt the IRS would allow that deduction. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Although I know of no court case addressing this issue, I doubt the IRS would allow that deduction. 

rosy1
Returning Member

Can I deduct the air fare expenses?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

It depends. Job-related expenses for employees are no longer deductible on most people’s federal return in tax years 2018 through 2025 due to the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress passed and the President signed into law on December 22, 2017. 

Job-related expenses may also be deductible in your state. It is best to enter them on your return and TurboTax will determine if the expenses are deductible depending on your situation. 

Please see Where do I enter job-related employee expenses? (Form 2106) for instructions on how to input your expenses. 

Lastly, airfare would still be deductible if you are self-employed. If so, you would enter airfare expense on your Schedule C under Travel expense. 

@rosy1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies