Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

2018 tax form 5329 was completed by Turbo Tax. I have never had this before and I have no idea why I have it now or where the number comes from.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

2018 tax form 5329 was completed by Turbo Tax. I have never had this before and I have no idea why I have it now or where the number comes from.

There are possible several reasons.  If you are using the desktop version then switch to the forms mode and view the 5329 form  What line has the penalty on?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Probably because you have overcontributed to your IRA (or some other tax-favored account), or at least TurboTax thinks you have based on what you entered.  

It is that or you took an early withdrawal from a retirement account.  You can use Forms Mode to view the form and see which type of account is causing the problem.  If you have excess IRA contributions, you can remove them before 04/15 and remove the penalty.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies