Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cblanar

I have 4 kids so I should be getting $8k ($2k per kid) but on my child tax credit I am only seeing $7k. Where is the other $1k going?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I have 4 kids so I should be getting $8k ($2k per kid) but on my child tax credit I am only seeing $7k. Where is the other $1k going?

There are limits to the amount of Child Tax Credit that you can receive.  While the full credit is $2,000 per child, the credit itself is limited to tax liability.  So, you have likely reached the limit where you have no tax liability left to reduce.  Once you have reached the limit of tax liability, the refundable portion of the credit is also capped at only $1,400 (or 15% of the earned income over $2,500) per child.  So, it's quite possible to not receive the full credit.  

You also may be receiving less because of the phaseout. The $2,000 per child credit is reduced once your AGI reaches $200,000 (or $400,000 if you’re married filing jointly).  If your income exceeds these thresholds, then the amount of your credit is reduced until it is eliminated completely.

Also, see these helpful FAQ for additional requirements for the CTC -

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There are limits to the amount of Child Tax Credit that you can receive.  While the full credit is $2,000 per child, the credit itself is limited to tax liability.  So, you have likely reached the limit where you have no tax liability left to reduce.  Once you have reached the limit of tax liability, the refundable portion of the credit is also capped at only $1,400 (or 15% of the earned income over $2,500) per child.  So, it's quite possible to not receive the full credit.  

You also may be receiving less because of the phaseout. The $2,000 per child credit is reduced once your AGI reaches $200,000 (or $400,000 if you’re married filing jointly).  If your income exceeds these thresholds, then the amount of your credit is reduced until it is eliminated completely.

Also, see these helpful FAQ for additional requirements for the CTC -

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies