turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ashleydl9

The child tax credit was left out, can I change it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RobertG
Expert Alumni

The child tax credit should have been claimed automatically when you entered your dependent information.

You can edit your dependent information by going to the My Info section of TurboTax

If you have you already filed your return you can file an amended return to claim the child tax credit.  Here is how to file an amended return in TurboTax

First, make sure that your 2019 return was accepted in TurboTax Online or paper-filed through the mail. If you are waiting on a refund, don't amend until it arrives. 

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
    • If you only see the option to amend 2018 or earlier, it's because you can't amend an unfiled 2019 return. Instead, just select Pick up where you left off, make your changes, and disregard the rest of these instructions.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.

Three weeks after mailing your amended return, you can start tracking it at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? tracking tool.  Please allow at least 16 weeks for the IRS to process your amended return.

Processing times for amended state returns vary from state to state. If it's been more than 12 weeks since you mailed your amended state return, and you haven't heard anything, we suggest you contact your state tax agency.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@RobertG @Can I get a step by step for this? Somehow only 1 of my children got the child tax credit in 2019 and my stimulus payments were messed up because of that. IRS rep said I need to amend it and check the box for my other two children. Once that’s processed, I can file my 2020 return so I can get my recovery rebate credits. As of right now, it’s showing I got the right amount when I didn’t. I don’t know why only one of my children got the credit. They all qualify. 
when I try to amend my return, and I click on child tax credit section, it doesn’t allow me to change anything. It asked one question about working in a halfway house and then pushes me through saying everything looks correct. It’s not. Help. 

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

When you go to amend your tax return, you must add the children under the Personal Info section first, then go back to the Child Tax Credit and you will be able to add them.

@loveand-beloved

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies