turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I sold my father’s house in 2018 as executor of his estate, how do I calculate the stepped up basis of his home when I never had it appraised? Can I efile this return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SharonC1

If I sold my father’s house in 2018 as executor of his estate, how do I calculate the stepped up basis of his home when I never had it appraised? Can I efile this return?

The basis of an inherited home is generally the Fair Market Value (FMV) of the property at the date of the individual's death (or the alternate date if selected). If no appraisal was done at that time, you will need to engage the help of a real estate professional to provide the FMV for you. There is no other way to determine your basis for the property.

Yes you can e-file an IRS 1041 (estate return). After you install TurboTax Business and begin working on your return, you'll be asked which type of return you need to prepare. Select Trust or Estate return (Form 1041) and proceed.

If you were asking if you can e-file your individual return, I have not read anything in your question that would prohibit you from e-filing your individual return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
SharonC1

The basis of an inherited home is generally the Fair Market Value (FMV) of the property at the date of the individual's death (or the alternate date if selected). If no appraisal was done at that time, you will need to engage the help of a real estate professional to provide the FMV for you. There is no other way to determine your basis for the property.

Yes you can e-file an IRS 1041 (estate return). After you install TurboTax Business and begin working on your return, you'll be asked which type of return you need to prepare. Select Trust or Estate return (Form 1041) and proceed.

If you were asking if you can e-file your individual return, I have not read anything in your question that would prohibit you from e-filing your individual return.

I used a real estate agent so can what she listed the house for be considered its FMV?
SharonC1

No, that would be the FMV when you listed it, not when your father passed.  I am sorry for your loss.

Thank you for replying!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies