Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nguyen_dz

After entering property tax, "Good news: You qualify for a property tax deduction of $xxx", which is the entered amount. But the Fed Tax Due did NOT change. What gives?

For my main home's property tax that I paid in 2017, I got this message:

"Good news: You qualify for a property tax deduction of $xx,xxx"

which is the full amount that I just entered.

However, the Federal Tax Due, in RED, at the top of the app window did NOT change.

What gives? ... Is this a bug?

-

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

After entering property tax, "Good news: You qualify for a property tax deduction of $xxx", which is the entered amount. But the Fed Tax Due did NOT change. What gives?

That is a deduction which reduces your taxable income ... it is not an amount added to your refund.  

And until the total of all your itemized deductions exceeds the standard deduction for your filing status you will not see a change in the refund on that meter. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply

That is a deduction which reduces your taxable income ... it is not an amount added to your refund.  

And until the total of all your itemized deductions exceeds the standard deduction for your filing status you will not see a change in the refund on that meter. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies