Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why does my Self-Employed income not qualify for any home-office deduction if I worked 99% of those hours from that home office?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

Why does my Self-Employed income not qualify for any home-office deduction if I worked 99% of those hours from that home office?

Very nice catch. You should set up 2 separate offices. You can allocate the SPACE by any reasonable method (income earned or time spent). So, for example, if you have a 200 sq ft office, the Self-Employed office can be 150 sf and the employee home office can be 50 sf or vice versa.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
MichaelDC

Did you have a profit in this business?

Yes, it's IT contract work that I do in addition to my regular Job. Both are done from the same home office, for a total of 40 hours per week.
MichaelDC

Thanks. It's probably to do with answering a question incorrectly. As hinted in my comment question, the home office can't be taken unless you have a net profit after expenses and it can't get you a loss in the business.

I think the problem is that TurboTax is asking me if I use the home office "exclusively for this business" - and I have to say "NO", since there are 2 businesses technically sharing that home office area.  I do 2 hours per day for one, and 6 hours per day for the other.
MichaelDC

Converting the above comment to an answer for others' benefit. Please let me know if you need anything else here. Thanks.
MichaelDC

Very nice catch. You should set up 2 separate offices. You can allocate the SPACE by any reasonable method (income earned or time spent). So, for example, if you have a 200 sq ft office, the Self-Employed office can be 150 sf and the employee home office can be 50 sf or vice versa.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies