Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JohnM62

Taxes are going up whenI enter medical expenses

When I enter my medical expenses my taxes are going up. I thought they would be going down. I an over the 7.5% of income. Some of my medical expenses were paid through my HSA account, but the majority was out of pocket. What is it goimg up?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Taxes are going up whenI enter medical expenses

It could be that the Standard Deduction is still more than all your itemized deductions.

Or maybe you are already getting back all that you can and more deductions won't increase it.

Itemized Deductions or the Standard Deduction can only reduce your income to zero and not create a refund.  Then you only get back any withholding taken out.

TurboTax starts off using the Standard deduction, so until your Itemized Deductions are higher than the Standard deduction your refund or tax due would not change.  Or it will just change a little at a time as you increase your deductions over the standard amount.

And by increasing your deductions it will decease your income and you may not be getting as many credits as before.   Also after you reduce your income to zero there is no more refund to get back but you still may owe for other things like self employment tax or the 10% early withdrawal penalty from 401k or IRA accounts.

Or you are subject to the AMT tax. AMT is Alternative minimum tax.  See http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc556.html

and https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899184-what-is-the-alternative-minimum-tax-amt-and-do-i-have-to-p...

Or you have self employment tax.  You can't reduce the SE tax. If all your tax is self-employment tax rather than income tax, any deductions or an IRA contribution will not lower it.   Or you owe something else like a 10% early withdrawal penalty from your 401k or IRA. Or the penalty for not having  Health insurance or you need to pay back some of the subsidy.  Those are not affected by adding deductions or contributions.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies