Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Form 8936 (2019)

So which is it TT? 1/20 or 1/21 or?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/form-8936-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-v...

The least they can do is give us the correct date for god's sake! Is this rejection going to happen again like groundhog day?

This is really pathetic on TT's part.  HR had this form working right back in January.  I actually got a refund on my HR from Amazon to switch over to TT because it was the only one offering 8911 to get the tax credit on the EV charger I installed.  Does anyone know if someone else offers that form?

Fortunately already got my state taxes filed.  California offers a CalFile service where you can file online directly with the state.  I just plugged in my numbers from the TT forms into CalFile.  The EV credits aren't applicable there anyway.  I highly recommend that if you are in CA, it saved me the $20 that TT wants to efile my California taxes, and they said I should have my refund in a week.  Next year I'll just buy the fed-only version of TT and save the money on the state software.

We filed for 100% credit for a Bolt and the IRS said our return has been accepted. Now I'm concerned this problem will trigger greater scrutiny of our return, even though it is accurate, and delay our refund.

I used the provided updated form and submitted my taxes on 2/15 only to have it rejected by the IRS since the form that was made available by TurboTax was incorrect  Now I am told that the fix to this form is to be available on 2/20. This is really unacceptable and very frustrating especially since we had already made some purchasing decisions based on other calculated return. 

Just to prove they are idiots, they can't even post a message with correct grammar.  On the link referenced above, it says at the bottom of the page:

"This issue is projected to be fix by 02/21/2020. You can sign up here to receive email notifications when updates related to this issue become available."

Obviously it should say "This issue is projected to be fixed by........."

All of their programmers must be in India or something.

@nexus444 They hired the same ones Boeing used for their 737 MAX 😅

TurboTax is way smaller than Boeing, so they can't afford to pay $7.5/hr.

So close, yet so far.  I wish this had been rejected day one. Now a week lost to get in refund line all over again.. ugg

Why does Turbotax need to spend 10 days to fix a simple calculation problem????????

Several possible reasons:

1.  They are idiots with terrible programmers (Most likely reason).

2.  They just don't care about us or about providing good customer service.  All they care about is people paying for their useless software.

3.  The owners are Republicans and don't want us electric car owners to get the tax credit we deserve.  As you know, all Republicans hate electric cars and want to do away with the remaining tax credits.  If they could have their way, we would still be burning coal for all energy needs instead of using natural gas, solar, and wind; and every American would be driving a gas-guzzling Ford F-150 truck made in America instead of fuel-efficient hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or electric cars.

Niness
Returning Member

So will it mess us up if we go and file through someone else now? It was rejected so I dont see why we cant file through another company  

I was planning on waiting until 2/21 to fix the form and resubmit because TurboTax kept pushing out the deadline for the original form 8936 by two weeks before they put it up... I was expecting they'll have the same problems and push out the fix as well. Then I read this:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-topics/help/form-8936-qualified-plug-in-electric-drive-motor-v...

Amazing - they did push it out. They couldn't even keep to their own deadline for one whole day. I have lost trust that this company can program software to do basic calculations.

OK, my federal and NY State returns were rejected because of problems with TT form 8936 re: electric vehicles. I found out because of two emails you sent me today, also notifying me of a corrected Form 8936 version expected 2/20. The same emails from you also let me know that I now might have to mail in hard copies of my tax returns. I assume this also means that my Massachusetts return which didn't qualify for e-file and which has already been mailed will have to be amended and re-filed?  

Worst performance I've ever seen by you all - please tell me how I can get a refund for your 2019 Deluxe + state which I purchased from Amazon, plus the additional state purchase which I made from you online. Other than a headache and too much of my time, I'm not quite sure what I paid for here.

Jim

Well said nexus444 - final nail in the coffin will be when TT tells me I'll now have to use U.S. mail to submit my Fed and state returns because of their error - I suppose I can expect reimbursement for my mailing costs from TT as well as for the program and additional state returns that I purchased 🙂

Thanks for the post tito92 - gives me hope (though my hope regarding this issue is pretty much gone 🙂 that perhaps I won't have to use regular mail to submit my returns this year once TT gets their act together.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies