Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mlpreiss
Returning Member

Tax treatment for a computer monitor I bought for a project

I was on a W2 project where my client provided me a laptop with a 13" screen, which is useless for developing process maps and other related types of documentation. I asked my former client where I should purchase an external monitor and they told me. After I purchased it - fully expecting them to pay for it - I then asked my director on two separate times where I needed to send the receipt for reimbursement because, for every W2 consulting project I've ever worked on, clients have always provided equipment for their W2 consultants. I got nothing but crickets. I got the message.

I shouldn't have forked out the money for it, but I did because the time constraints were crazy and I needed to get up and running. I used the monitor for that project for the length of the project, from 4/10/22 to 1/31/23, or thereabouts. Now it's just sitting around gathering dust. I have no idea how to treat it tax-wise. I thought I could write off its cost, but I'm not so sure now after reading about converting a work asset to a personal asset. I could use it personally, but my personal laptop screen is plenty big enough (for now) for me to use without needing to use that monitor.

I know computers and related equipment have an accelerated depreciation schedule because technology changes so fast, but I don't know if I can write off the whole $240+ I spent or if I should just eat the cost. And by the way, I haven't itemized in years, since I owned a home; I usually take the standard deduction now because my taxes are pretty simple.f.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Sorry---W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal return.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a federal deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different in AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Sorry---W-2 employees cannot deduct job-related expenses on a federal return.  Job-related expenses were eliminated as a federal deduction for W-2 employees by the tax laws that changed for 2018 and beyond.  Your state tax laws might be different in AL, AR, CA, HI, MN, NY or PA.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4482873-which-federal-tax-deductions-have-been-suspended-by-tax-re...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies