Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rhlytle

Tax deduction 2nd home?

I have a home and a separate shop on one piece of property. I also have a second home in another state. I am getting the proportional  property tax deduction for the house/shop property, but turbo tax 2016 isn't accepting the tax I pay on the second home.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Tax deduction 2nd home?

Property taxes can be deducted on both pieces of property.  The property taxes paid for a second property can be added by using the steps shown below.

You can go directly to the area to enter your information.  

1. Sign into your TurboTax Federal tab (in the menu tree on left for online versions or at the top for desktop versions)

2. In the search box, upper right

3. Search for property taxes

4. Jump to property taxes (click the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance)

5. Enter your taxes paid on your main home and any other property tax paid in the second slot.

For your convenience I have placed more information about property taxes below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300663

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Tax deduction 2nd home?

Do rent out the second home?
DianeW
Expert Alumni

Tax deduction 2nd home?

Property taxes can be deducted on both pieces of property.  The property taxes paid for a second property can be added by using the steps shown below.

You can go directly to the area to enter your information.  

1. Sign into your TurboTax Federal tab (in the menu tree on left for online versions or at the top for desktop versions)

2. In the search box, upper right

3. Search for property taxes

4. Jump to property taxes (click the images attached to enlarge and view for assistance)

5. Enter your taxes paid on your main home and any other property tax paid in the second slot.

For your convenience I have placed more information about property taxes below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300663

Tax deduction 2nd home?

Hi,

I have the same issue. Your answer solved the federal part. How about the state part. My primary home is in Indiana and second home is in GA. I can't find a spot to add the 2nd home property tax  for both state. Could you help with it?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies