Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Super confused about Credits this year? Can i get any credits?

Lost job due to cancer in 2018 so been out of work. Wife is stay at home mom, so we have 0$ income

Didn't file for 2019 so missed the 2nd stimulus but received first stim $2900.

Our 2nd baby was born in Nov 2020.

We wont get 3rd stimulus until they get bank info so lets leave that out of  this discussion.

I'm just really wanting to find  the refund check amount.

So I know I Have to file to get Recovery rebate and was hoping you could check my math?

I don't think I qualify for EITC or CTC with no income right? 

I'm trying to estimate just the tax refund amount on $0 Income, no taxes payed with these variables.

(not including 3rd stim or new upcoming child credit)

Is this what one would get in just the refund check?

I didn't get 1st stimulus for new Nov 2020 baby - $500

Didn't get second stimulus at all so 2 adults + 2 kids - $2400 

So Total refund $2900? Recovery Rebate only? Sound right?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes that looks right.  You should have the 2,900 on 1040 line 30.  Did you have any income for 2020?  Like interest?  

You need to file a 2020 return to claim the missing Stimulus payments. It's too late to be based on 2019 or 2018 returns. If you don't need to file a 2020 return then enter $1 of fake interest to efile.

When you go through the federal review tab it will ask how much you got if any. Or to enter your stimulus payment in TurboTax, type "stimulus" (without the quotes) in the Search box, then click the link that says "Jump to stimulus." Say no to the amounts it shows you. Then 2 boxes will open up for each round. If you didn't get one enter a 0 in the box.

After you have entered your tax information and are ready for the Federal Review, it will be the first question.

If you are trying to trigger it, you can go to Other Situations, answer any questions and click Done. The next automatic selection is Federal Review and it will ask about payments received.

The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30. It either adds to your refund or reduces a tax due.

I literally made $0. ZE-RO yes I made no money this year. We have NO earnings, none whatsoever! Yay! 

But I guess I don't understand the $1 of fake interest.

What would happen if I put $0 instead of $1, what would happen? 

Or say i were to paper file without TT, ( i don't plan to) but if I put $0 would that break something?

Lastly, I'm not sure 50/50 if we paid our property tax, the bill is $1500. I have to ask my wife.

But If we did, would that change anything regarding this refund? Or would that not matter?

No the property tax won't give you a deduction by itself.  Not until all your deductions are more than the Standard Deduction.  Deductions can only reduce your  taxable income to zero.   But you don't need any deductions since you have zero income.  Entering $1 of interest won't change your return but will give you some income so you can efile.  Otherwise you will have to print and mail your return.  And you do not want to mail!  That will take forever to process.  The only way to get the missing Stimulus is to file a 2020 return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies