Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Stimulus

My wife and I had our first child in fall of 2020. So we did not receive any stimulus funds for the child as expected. This is supposed to be paid when 2020 taxes are filed. I have gone through the entire TT deluxe and nowhere does it mention how that money is received. It is not included in our refund,and when I add our stimulus amounts in the federal review section nothing is mentioned about child stimulus. What am I missing?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Stimulus

Make sure when you entered your child's information that the child lived with you all year.  A child born during the tax year is considered as living with you all year.

The Recovery Credit is asked after the Other Tax Situations section (Federal Review) of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify, you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Stimulus

Make sure when you entered your child's information that the child lived with you all year.  A child born during the tax year is considered as living with you all year.

The Recovery Credit is asked after the Other Tax Situations section (Federal Review) of the 2020 TurboTax program you will be asked about the stimulus payment received or not received.

After you asked about the stimulus payment & you qualify, you will get the Recovery Rebate Credit (stimulus) on the 2020 federal tax return, Form 1040 Line 30.

Stimulus

Actually a child has to be born minimum 6 months before the end of the year in order to be considered living with you the whole year. Our child was born in October. So I understand that he wouldn’t qualify for the first round of stimulus last spring but he definitely qualifies for the second round this winter. Both my wife and I received the full stimulus amounts both times and I entered that information into the proper section in the TT software. Nowhere does it say we will be getting a stimulus payment for our child and our refund amount at the top of the page does not change when that information is entered. I guess my question is,is that stimulus sent after taxes are submitted to the IRS?and that is why it doesn’t show in our calculated refund? Or is it supposed to be part of the refund and I missed something??

Stimulus

@mht497

WRONG WRONG WRONG .... a child simply needs to be born by the stroke of midnight on 12/31 to be considered a qualifying child for the entire year ... read the rules again and look at this screen in the program ...  a child born anytime during 2020 qualifies for BOTH stimulus payments. child born months 2019.jpg

Stimulus

What about this?

Some of the other child-related eligibility requirements for the Child Tax Credit include:

• You must have provided at least half of the child’s support during the last year, and the child must have lived with you for at least half the year (there are some exceptions to this rule; the IRS has the details)

Stimulus

Did you see the "some exceptions to this rule"  ?   A child who is born or died during the year is treated as if they lived the entire year.    https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf

Death or birth of child. A child who was born
or died during the year is treated as having lived
with you more than half of the year if your home
was the child's home more than half of the time
he or she was alive during the year. The same
is true if the child lived with you more than half
the year except for any required hospital stay
following birth.
Child born alive. You may be able to claim
as a dependent a child born alive during the
year, even if the child lived only for a moment.
State or local law must treat the child as having
been born alive. There must be proof of a live
birth shown by an official document, such as a
birth certificate. The child must be your qualifying child or qualifying relative, and all the other
tests to claim the child as a dependent must be
met.

And the other rule about support ... for a qualifying child  it reads that "the child cannot provide more than 1/2 of their own support"  ... the parents don't have to pay a thing.   Support comes into play for HOH filing status and Qualified Relatives.

Support Test (To Be a Qualifying
Child)
To meet this test, the child can’t have provided
more than half of his or her own support for the
year.
This test is different from the support test to
be a qualifying relative, which is described later.

Stimulus

I did not see that part. I really appreciate everyone’s help. Thank you. 

Stimulus

How i can get my first stimulus check.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Stimulus

If you did not receive your first stimulus payment, you can claim the Recovery Rebate on this tax return you are filing now (2020).    After you enter all of your tax information, TurboTax will ask you the amount you received for the first two payments.   Enter 0 for the first one (assuming you did not receive it) and then enter the amount you received for the second one.   TurboTax will calculate the amount of your Recovery Rebate credit and put it on Line 30 of your Form 1040, so you will receive it as an addition to your tax refund amount or a subtraction to the amount you owe.   To get to the stimulus questions at any time, you can type stimulus in the search bar and use the Jump to stimulus link to be taken there.    @Nedelka1954

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Stimulus

How do I get to that screen to fill in stimulus amounts?

I have to make changes to amount.

Thank you.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Stimulus

You can access your stimulus check choices by following these steps: 

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries. 

Latham

Stimulus

Where do I enter the $1200 stimulus money I received in 2021?

MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Stimulus

@Latham

The third stimulus that you received in 2021 should be $1,400.

In TurboTax Online, to check whether you are entitled to the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Did you [or your spouse] get a third stimulus payment?, answer Yes or No
  4. Follow the interview and answer all questions
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies