Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

emmyreece

Moved to Montana and changed the title and registered my truck here. Entering my registration fees, it states I can only deduct the LVREG and COOP. What is COOP?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Moved to Montana and changed the title and registered my truck here. Entering my registration fees, it states I can only deduct the LVREG and COOP. What is COOP?

using Google, with Montana and vehicle registration and COOP

...I found a reference to it on page 4 of:

https://revenue.mt.gov/Portals/9/businesses/fees/CGR_Guide.pdf

it appears to be a County Option Tax, code 14.

Also on page 17 of the following...though they  indicate "COOPT" instead:

http://montana-motor-vehicles.s3.amazonaws.com/montana_decoding_a_motor_vehicle_title,_registration_...

Added later based on discussion below:  The LVREG fee cannot be used as a Federal deduction in it's "Car Registration Fees" area on the TTX  Deductions&Credits page...only the COOP is allowed to be entered there.   

During the Montana interview, there is a specific page where you will be able to add in the LVREG fee as a Montana deduction.......but this is specific to Montana.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@Always Seeking Knowledge

Do you know when this became effective....i.e. was it valid for 2016, but not now for 2017?
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

@SteamTrain @emmyreece
LVREG has been based on model year for at least 10 years. I tried to find the exact year but did not. Anyway, 2016 and 2017 are exactly the same. The LVREG is a fixed fee that steps down about every five years for a given vehicle's age in the year registration is due. You should be able to find the rates on the Montana Dept. of Revenue web site.

@SteamTrain @emmyreece
Found it. Vehicle age 0-4 years $217, 5-10 years $87, 11 or more years $28. You should find that your LVREG corresponds to one of these values.  It's the same for a Lincoln or a Yugo.  Note to all Montana taxpayers — these fees are not deductible on Federal as they are not based on value, but they are deductible on Montana (see the MT instructions).

I'll pass it on to TTX.  (this is a public forum...I'm just a higer-level user)

The Moderators will have to pass this on to whoever is working on Montana  (or I guess the Federal software folks....as that's the section where the instructions are wrong)

This has still NOT been corrected on the 2018 web version of TurboTax.  The instruction still includes LVREG, which is based on model year only (age) and the federal rules right there in the help disallow it.  Can you try again to get this fixed?

@SteamTrain @emmyreece Please see note above.  LVREG instructions are still incorrect in TT web 2018.

@Always Seeking Knowledge

I poked the Moderators again..siggghhhhh

[mention://49297949 [mention://49297949 [mention://49297949 @emmyreece]]]
Just a clarification here — actually the TurboTax instruction for Montana on the Federal interview is incorrect.  LVREG is NOT deductible on federal tax because it is now based on model year (vehicle age) and not value.  Deduct COOPT on federal. The Montana interview will ask for additional vehicle fees not allowable on federal, but deductible in Montana.  Enter LVREG there. COOPT will have been carried forward from the Federal form. The Montana instruction book is very clear that LVREG is a one item local exception from the federal rules. I've been trying to contact TuboTax to ask them to fix this.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies