Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Standard deduction vs Itemized, if I go standard I get a refund if I Itemize I owe, how can that be and if I choose standard is that fraud?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Standard deduction vs Itemized, if I go standard I get a refund if I Itemize I owe, how can that be and if I choose standard is that fraud?

Your itemized deductions must be less than your standard deduction. By all means take the standard deduction. 

LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

Due to recent tax law changes, which raised the standard deduction and limited some deductions, most people will do better using the standard deduction rather than itemizing.  As long as you entered your information properly, Turbo Tax will figure which deduction is best for you and it is fine.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

if you file MFS, and one itemizes, the other must also itemize

even if you end up owing.

@adamschlaeger 

Double-check your entries and print out a copy of your return. Look it iver carefully to see if you can see why. Many times someone just doesn't have enough deductions to warrant itemizing. 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

As already stated you should select the best option for you unless you are required to select one or the other based on a "Married Filing Separately" status.  You can see a breakdown summary of your itemized deductions in online versions in the "Deductions and Credits" section. 

1. Click "Deductions and Credits" in the left-hand menu
  2. Continue through to arrive at the page where TurboTax has selected either "Itemized or Standard" for you.  
  3. Below the graph there is a dropdown link "Show me the estimated breakdown" 
  4. Click the link to see the itemized deductions breakdown from your entries

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies