Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ssi

My fiance is in a wheelchair and recieves ssi disability. He lives with me. Can i claim him on my taxes without it affecting his benefits. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Ssi

SSI is a needs-based entitlement that is determined by all income and support.

Carl
Level 15

Ssi

Need a lot more details to provide any useful information, such as "all" sources of income, disability rating/percentage, are they older than you. etc. etc. etc.

Ssi

Since people very frequently confuse Social Security with SSI, we have to ask you to be very clear about which kind of disability your fiance is receiving.  Does he receive a SSA1099 for the disability?   If he receives Social Security disability he receives a SSA1099 in January or early February.   If he receives SSI, there is no tax reporting document issued to him.

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS AND SSI?

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-over-ussi.htm

We cannot answer effectively unless we know which kind of disability your fiance receives.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ssi

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) is a benefit that is earned based on how long the person worked and what their income was.  SSDI is not affected by need or other support.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is needs-based.  The people on this forum are tax experts, not SSI experts, so you might get a better opinion by talking to a social worker or contacting the social security administration.  Certainly if you claim the person as a dependent on your tax return, the fact they are claimed could be sent by the IRS to the social security administration--but I don't know if it actually is.

In any case, if they are living in your home, that fact should be disclosed to SSA even if you don't claim them, if you support this person and your support is not reported to the system and included in their calculations of need, that could be considered fraud whether or not you claim them as a dependent.  Whether it changes their payment will depend on your overall financial situation (other dependents, other expenses, income, and so on). 

And finally, if you marry this person, that may change the needs calculation as well, so you might as well tell the SSA the truth sooner rather than later.  

Ssi

He receives a check each month for 824. I know he doesnt have to file taxes. He has been in a wheelchair and disabled since 1987. I just dont want to take the chance of messing up his benefits. Life is full of curveballs and if we by chance ever split i dont want him to be jacked up just because i claimed him on my taxes as a dependent. 

Ssi

He doesnt have to report or file taxes. But all his medical is at no cost to him and that is the one thing that i dont want (need) to mess up for him. 

Ssi

He only receives 1 check. He is an incomplete quad. He doesnt have to file taxes. But his medical is the one thing i cannot afford to mess up. I an 57 he is 60 and been in a wheelchair since 1987

Ssi

@Block33  Even if you claim your BF as a dependent all you would get is a $500 credit for other dependents, which would reduce your own tax liability by up to $500.   It is not a refundable credit.   So, if you are conflicted over claiming him and worried about potentially messing up his benefits, maybe the $500 credit is not worth it.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

Did your BF receive the stimulus checks when they were issued?   If he gets SSI he was supposed to receive those EIP amounts automatically IF he was not claimed as anyone else's dependent.  Dependents are not eligible for stimulus checks.    If he did not receive those amounts ($1200, $600, and $1400) then he could stil file tax returns to get the recovery rebate credits.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Ssi

@Block33  

That doesn’t explain whether it is SSI or SSDI.

If it is SSI, then I suspect the regulations require  that he disclose that he is being supported by someone else, regardless of whether you claim him on your tax return.  You may wish to have a consultation with some kind of social worker or benefits expert in your area. Often times, the rules for SSI vary from state to state.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies