13sanchez

Someone Stole $1450.00 from my apartment, $450.00 belonged for my job. Can I file that as personal property?

Carl

Yes, and you can include the $450 if (and only if) your employer held you accountable for it and made you pay it back out of your own money.

Do note that while it's reported in the casualty and thefts section, it very well may not be enough to have any impact on your tax liability. But you won't know that until you complete your tax return.

Any insurance? Have you filed a police report?

CASUALTY LOSS

It is difficult to claim a casualty loss because you have to meet a tough threshhold. Only the amount of a casualty loss that is OVER 10% of your adjusted gross income can be counted toward your itemized deductions, and even then you must subtract $100 from that amount.  If your loss was covered by insurance, it is very unlikely that the amount of your deductible would be enough to count as a deduction.  If you want to enter your casualty loss, go to the Federal>Deductions and Credits> Other Deductions and Credits>Casualties and Thefts.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901178-casualty-and-theft-losses