turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Solar Tax Credit with Contract that has no breakdown

I had solar installed in 2023, but the invoice is not showing a breakdown. It included solar panels, inverter, batteries, an EV charger that works off the solar inverter, a subpanel replacement and a new roof, because the old one was worn.

I understand that the roof will not qualify for the credit, and I have separate paperwork with dollar amounts for the roof. However, for the rest of the solar, I'm not sure how to break this down. The contract only lists all of the above as line items in the notes section, but with no individual prices.

My questions are:

- Do I need to contact the company for a breakdown of how much each line item cost, or is there some leeway to estimate ourselves, if there's no breakdown?

- If we do break it down, I see that there is an EV charger tax credit, however, since I live in an urban area, it will not qualify. The rule is, you have to live in a non-urban or moderate to low income area, correct?

- Another one if we do break it down: the subpanel replacement/upgrade was because the old one would not work with the solar, nor pass inspection. I read that this does not matter for the credit, as it still would not qualify as a solar tax credit expense. I see that there's another tax credit allowance for it, but the requirement is it has to be 200 or more amps. Mine is only 100, so I don't think this one is eligible. Is this correct?

Thank you for your help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Solar Tax Credit with Contract that has no breakdown

1.  A cost breakdown would be best.  I don't know how else to estimate it except using the average cost in your area and that may not be accurate if they offered a package deal or something.

2.  No, you can still qualify for the EV charger credit.  You'll need the cost of the EV chargers separated and you get a credit for 30% of that (up to $1000).

3.  You are correct that the subpanel doesn't qualify for either the solar credit or the home energy credit.

@v8ramair 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies