Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

abdemaio

Solar tax credit and TurboTax error - 2008

It came to my attention that the $2000 cap on the federal tax credit for installation of solar panels was lifted by the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 (passed in October 2008).  In reviewing my tax return for that year, the maximum amount of the credit inserted by TurboTax (line 3 of Form 5695) was $2000.  As such, I believe that this form was incorrect and I was shortchanged on my credit.  Any suggestions on how I could confirm this and whether I have any recourse?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

The maximum credit for tax year 2008 was $2,000 for the solar energy credit.

IRS Form 5695 Line 3 (2008) - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-prior/f5695--2008.pdf

You are referring to legislation that affected the tax year 2009 solar tax credits, not tax year 2008.

abdemaio

Thank you for clarifying.  It would appear my timing for going green was terrible!  I managed to find the two year window where the credit was capped.

A follow-up question, if I may:  The system we installed in 2008 is now failing, is out of warranty, and the manufacturer just announced they are filing for bankruptcy.  If I choose to replace the current equipment with new equipment, can I claim the 30% tax credit?

@abdemaio Yes, if you have a new installation of solar then you would be eligible for the 30% credit which is available through tax year 2032.

@abdemaio wrote:

A follow-up question, if I may:  The system we installed in 2008 is now failing, is out of warranty, and the manufacturer just announced they are filing for bankruptcy.  If I choose to replace the current equipment with new equipment, can I claim the 30% tax credit?

Yes.  Repairs to the existing system are not eligible, but installation of new equipment (whether additional capacity or replacement of aging equipment) is eligible, even if you claimed the credit before on the same house. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies