Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kendoyuki

Should my spouse and I who co-own our home (100% owned by us) and filing separately put half the mortgage amounts on form 1098 in the form or each use the full amount?

For example if the mortgage interest is $10,000, do we each put $10K in our respective forms, or do we put $5K in each of our forms, which adds up to $10K between the two of us?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

Should my spouse and I who co-own our home (100% owned by us) and filing separately put half the mortgage amounts on form 1098 in the form or each use the full amount?

You can only claim a total of $10k between the two of you.  You cannot both use the full amount.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kendoyuki

Thank you! Does that mean we should also split the other figures on the form between the two of us? Like the outstanding mortgage principle and the property real estate taxes?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Yes, everything should be split according to how much each of you pay. If you both pay half, then Boxes 1, 2, 5, 6, and property taxes should be split evenly. You would select Someone co-owns this loan, and I only pay a portion of it in Do any of these uncommon situations apply to your loan? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies