Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sharing house title, but not mortgage interest

I gave 1/2 of down payment to my nephew who bought a house.  He is sole owner of the house, and have his name only on theim mortgage.  Two years after, he lost his jobs.  So I have given him money to pay property tax, and monthly mortgage.  He added my name on the title of his house.  Could I claim those payments for deduction from federal and state income tax?  If his house is out of my resident state, do I still qualify for deduction in both federal and state?  If yes for federal, and no on my state, how do I remove the portion of out state property tax and mortgage interest from federal?  Thank you

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes, if you’re a legal owner of the home and pay the entire mortgage, you can claim the full amount of mortgage interest  and taxes you have paid if you itemize on

Schedule A.

It depends about the state. Not knowing your resident state, I can't give you a definite answer. I advise you to contact your resident state and ask, if property taxes and mortgage interest in a different state can be deducted on the state return.

To remove the mortgage interest and property taxes, here are the steps below.

1. Open TurboTax.
  2. Federal > Deductions & Credits > Your Home > Mortgage Interest or Property Taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank for your help.  I am California resident.  The other house is in Ohio.  Thank.

ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

The location of the house does not matter. The IRS allows you to deduct mortgage interest on two houses, so if you own a house in California, you can still deduct mortgage interest on a house in Ohio if you are able to itemize deductions.

Mortgage interest paid on a second residence used personally is deductible as long as the mortgage satisfies the same requirements for deductible interest as on a primary residence.

See Real Estate (Taxes, Mortgage Interest, Points, Other Property Expenses)

You can deduct all property taxes paid.

California allows you to claim the better of the standard or itemized deductions. TurboTax will carry your itemized deductions to your state return and select the best option for you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies